Review: Shadow of the Forest

8:55 PM


32060797Shadow of the Forest by Emma Michaels

| ISBN: 
978-1539942412 | Pages: 174 |
Publication Date: November 6, 2016 | Source: YA Bound Book Tours
| Rating: 3 out of 5 stars |
★★★

Everyone is dying to live in the Shadows of the Forest.
They gave me three rules to follow in exchange for my brother’s life:
1. Do not enter the West Wing;
2. Do not go outside after darkness falls; and
3. There is only one exit; The Gates.
This is what happened when I broke them…

 :
I was hooked by the summary from the first time I came across it on the YA Bound Book Tours site. The cover is also absolutely breathtaking with all the different purple tone and the glass globe in the center. 

Sadly, after finishing, I'm left at a bit of loss. Shadows of the Forest had a lot of potential with how unique the summary sounded and while there were definitely moments that were executed nicely, overall, I felt a bit disappointed with the story as whole.

We follow Lily after a car crash where she wakes up in a hospital and finds her twin brother Cole in a coma. She soon finds out that Cole made a pact to exchange his life for hers and she goes on a journey to find a way to reverse the pact. I feel like there were so many different plot points that could have been more developed but instead they were rushed.

As the entire novel comes out to only 174 pages, the entire plot goes by pretty quickly. My favorite part of the novel has to be the beautiful vivid descriptions of the Forest. It's definitely a place I would want to visit and just explore because the author gives so many little gifts. My only grip is that she mentions something in beautiful and then moves on.

Lily as a character that is a bit hard to connect to. I respect her morals and what drives her decisions but I just couldn't connect with her on a deeper level and that impacted my view of her. My favorite character has to be Willow. I loved that she has the ability to portray her emotions as colors across her skin, an ability inherited by her mother, but she was the most real and easiest to connect to. I did like her mother, Usagi, as well, but she just seemed to ethereal and heavenly.

Shadows of the Forest had so much potential and as a whole, I feel like the author only tapped into a bit of the that potential. Still, it's a very interesting premise and I did enjoy certain points of the story.

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe